1. Secretariat of Agriculture, Cattle Raising and Fish
Paseo Colon 922
Building complex by architect Andrés Vanelli e Hijos and Kimbau y Co. The buildings are neo-Gothic style, located on an avenue and bear the entire superb quality established for public works at the end of XIX century and beginnings of XX one.
2. School of Engineering
Paseo Colon 850
Neoclassicist style building, replicating that of the School of Law, were Careers of Civil, Electronic, Industrial Engineering, Hydraulics, Surveying, System Analysis are delivered.
It is the outcome of State architectural conception of middle XIX (*) century. It formerly seated the ex María Eva Duarte de Perón Foundation.
3. "Canto al Trabajo" Monument
Paseo Colon 800
Coronel Manuel de Olazábal small square.
This monument, by Argentine sculptor Rogelio de Yrurtia (1879-1950), is a sculptural group of 14 human figures, made of bronze, dragging a heavy stone and symbolizing this way the effort work carries.
4. Pasaje San Lorenzo
Between Defensa and Balcarce streets
In this alley, two blocks long, we can visit the “Galeria de los Patios de San Telmo”, a typical large house of the XVIII century, populated by artisans and artists' ateliers.
5. The Minimum House
San Lorenzo 380
It is the smallest house in the City, its front is hardly 2,20 meters. It is part of an old construction.
6. Sur Cafe
Estados Unidos and Balcarce streets
Opened its doors in 1967 and became the pioneer of the night show in Buenos Aires.
7. Danish Church
Carlos Calvo 257
The tower and the roofs are clear representatives of the neo-Gothic style. It was designed by Danish architects Rönnow and Bisgaard. It was inaugurated in 1931.
8. House of Juan carlos Castagnino
This house and the house at the corner are from ends of XVIII century. This was the house to the artist Juan Carlos Castagnino (1908-1972), famous painter, worldwide known because of the illustration of Martin Fierro he published in 1963.
9. Gallery of the Viejo Hotel
Built around 1890 as a small hotel. When the neighborhood was declared Historical Area in1979, the Viejo Hotel became an art gallery and atelier for painters and sculptors.
10. Antigua Tasca de Cuchilleros
Carlos Calvo 319
The front room dates from ends of the XVIII century. The rest of the construction is posterior. This place harbours a tragic love story. This was the house to Margarita, sergeant Oliden's daughter, “mazorquero” of the Governor Juan Manuel de Rosas. The father expected his daughter to marry Ciriaco Cuitiño, boss of the “mazorqueros”. But she escaped with the “payador” she was in love with. Finally, they were found by Cuitiño in the town of Luján. Cuitiño shot Margarita and she returned home to die. There is nowadays a restaurant here, where testimonial pictures on the story of the house are exposed.
11. House of Esteban de Luca
Defensa and Carlos Calvo streets
The house dates Return to end of the XVIII century. Here Esteban de Luca lived. He was a military man, poet and journalist. He actively participated in the English Invasions (1806-1807), as sub-lieutenant of Battalion 3 of Patricians. The house was recycled conserving the architectural elements of the time. At the moment, there is a restaurant there. It has become a National Historical Monument.
12. San Telmo Market
Bolívar, Carlos Calvo, Defensa, Estados Unidos streets
Its facade presents Italian characteristics while the interior holds an excellent iron structure with roofs of foil and glass. This is the last market running in the city. It was inaugurated in 1897 and architect Juan Antonio Buschiazzo designed it.
13. Solar de French Gallery
Defensa street between Humberto 1º and Carlos Calvo streets
This was the residence to patriot Domingo French. The front wing dates from 1900 -1910 while the rest date from 1930.
14. Dorrego Square
Among Humberto I, Defensa, Anselmo Aieta and Bethlem streets
Officially declared National Historical Place because there the town met to reaffirm the Independence of the 9 de Julio 1816 which had been declared in San Miguel de Tucumán. This is the oldest square after the Plaza de Mayo. Here you can visit the Fair of Antiques on Sundays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Always suggested to visit the fair on Sundays because the square becomes the suitable scenario to enjoy musicians and tango dancers.
15. Argentinean Panitentiary Museum "Antonio Ballvé"
Humberto 1º 378
The building dates from 1760, and was designed by architect Antonio Masella. Originally, it was the House of Spiritual Exercises for men. When the Jesuits were expelled in 1767, the place passed onto the Cabildo. Later and up to 1974, it functioned as Women’s Jail in charge of the Good Shepherd's Order and of the Penitentiary Service. When this Order retires in 1974, the Penitentiary is still in charge up to 1978 when the Women’s Jail is transferred to the town of Ezeiza. The interior of the building holds the chapel of Nuestra Señora del Camen, a construction from 1734.
16. Church Nuestra Señora de Belen - Parrish of San Pedro Telmo Humberto 1º 340
The construction of this church started by the end of 1734, according to design by Jesuit architect monk Andrés Blanqui and the intervention of his partners Juan Bautista Primoli and José Schmidt. Italian master Antonio Masella continued the building and the last restoration was carried out in 1918 by architect Pelayo Sáinz. The facade is of eclectic style and presents neo-colonial architectural elements. On top you can see the image of San Pedro González Telmo. It is a National Historical Monument.
17. Protomedicato (Current School Guillermo Rawson)
Humberto 1º 343
In 1858, it was the first school of Medicine in Buenos Aires. As from 1886, it held the Secretariat of Education. It is neo-colonial architecture. The Order of the Bethlemists Monks settled down here. The magnolia plants perfuming the entrance date Return from that time.
18. Pasaje La Defensa
It is a traditional large house of the decade of 1880 and was the residence of the Ezeiza family. The house is two-story, several rooms lead to a lateral gallery which gathers different spaces. The main floor holds three patios: The Patio of the Tree, The Patio of the Time and The Patio of the Ezeiza’s, top floor also holds a general patio. At the moment, a commercial gallery runs with shops of antique dealers, old times attires, paintings, souvenirs, etc.
19. Museum of Modern Art of the Government of the City
Av. San Juan 350
Formerly was a deposit of the factory of “Cigarrillos 43”. The building dates from 1918 and it was recycled while keeping its original architecture of “utilitarian” style. This is the place of the museum where we can admire the most important and representative plastic artists' exhibitions of contemporary art.
20. Former Foudation San Telmo
Born in 1980, this foundation has been an important cultural center not only for the organization of top-quality shows but also because qualified public could take advantage of the opportunity to come closer to artist and to dialogue with them. Constructed as a large house, around 1860-70, and remodelled by Osvaldo Giesso in the ‘80s, very important cultural events as well as camera concerts were developed there. At the moment, there is an art Gallery which can be visited by people and a Performing school. Its facade replicates a house of the XVIII century which blueprints are kept at National General Bureau.
21. Russian Orthodox Church of the Sacred Trinity
This church was inaugurated in 1904, the original project was carried out by the architect Mihail Preobrazensky (Sacred Synod of Russia) and adapted by architect Alejandro Christophersen. The temple has been built as per XVII century Muscovite style. From the gorge of the park, on Brasil Street, we can admire the facade of the church, with the group of five domes standing out on top. These domes are onion-shaped, turquoise (a bigger one and other minor four), recovered with foils of zinc. On each one of these domes, you see a cross toward the east, held by chains. The facade is composed by a great fronton, three windows in stained glass representing different biblical scenes and the frontispiece in Venetian mosaic, representing the Santisima Trinidad (made in San Petersburgo).
22. Lezama Park - Fountain to Don Pedro de Mendoza
Brasil and Defensa streets
Inauguration of this monument by Juan Carlos Oliva Navarro place on June 23, 1937. The monument is composed of a square fountain with two drains symbolizing the River Guadalquivir and the River Plate (beginning and end of the expedition). The statue of Don Pedro de Mendoza is made of bronze and it contrasts with a bas-reliefs marble wall representing an indigenous figure. Pedro de Mendoza appears nailing the sword in the soil as a symbol of the possession of lands. Laterally we can observe two bas-reliefs: on the left, “El sueño de la Sierra de la Plata” and on the right “La Fundación”. The lower part also presents another bas-relief “La Magdalena” with the roll of the twenty-seven members of the expedition.
23. Lezama Park - Patio of sculptures and amphitheater
Located in the neighborhood of San Telmo, its street limits are Defense, Brasil, Av. Paseo Colon, and Av. Martin García, on a natural gorge. Some people affirm that the first establishment of this city took place in these suburbs. Paul Groussac opposes to this conclusion, since he states it took place at Vuelta de Rocha. At the end of the XVIII century, the Royal Company of Philippines settled the deposit of black slaves down in the park. In 1806, during the First English Invasion, General Beresford entered through San Martin Street (today Defensa) devastating the last local forces on the Barranca de Marcó (today Lezama Park). Years later, the English David MacKinley installed his week-end cottage at this place, opposite the river. On the building the English flag was hoisted, and for that reason people got used to call it “the Englishmen cottage” (La Quinta de los Ingleses). After successive owners, in 1857, Mr Jose Gregorio Lezama, a tradesman from Salta, acquired the property, surrounded it with a high fence of iron grills and enriched the forest atmosphere with exotic plants and trees. Towards 1871, during the yellow fever epidemic, the residence was operated as a Lazaretto and in June of same year, its owner recovers it. That year, it is recovered by its owner. In 1889, when Lezama dies, his widow Angela Álzaga proposes the Mayor to sell the premises to the Community, with the commitment of being a public park. It took then the name of Parque Lezama.
24. National Historical Museum
It was founded on May 24 1889. It was settled on the house of Gregorio de Lezama, in 1897. Their line follow Italian architecture, so much applied in Buenos Aires between 1850 and 1880. The premises lighten the traditions of the Revolution of May and the Wars of the Independence and other memorable periods of the national history of the XIX century.