Continuing down the coast of the river we find the recently transformed district of Puerto Madero. In this renewed space and social scene, Porteños have found yet another excuse to celebrate life and meet with friends in the innumerable restaurants, cafes and discos that populate this fantastic sector by the river.
Today, luxurious restaurants, offices and movie theaters have replaced the ancient brick silos, making this the city's most exclusive district, preferred by tourists and business travelers. All the streets of Puerto Madero carry the names of women. The Boulevard Azucena Villaflor directly connects the city to the river. Every Saturday and Sunday, another street, Calle Vera Peñaloza becomes a pedestrian-only zone, where the public can skate, ride bicycles or stroll. Nearby one will find the Reserva Ecológica Costanera Sur, a natural oasis in the heart of the concrete jungle.
Puerto Madero Circuit
1. Malecom Building
Built in 1999, it was projected by one of the most important architecture studies in the United States. It is a tower of 12 floors of offices with a great commercial mall on the main floor.
2. Corbeta Uruguay Ship-Museum
Built in British shipyard, it was acquired in 1872 by President Sarmiento. Between 1898 and 1961, it ran as ship school of the Argetnine Navy. This ship took 37 instruction trips around the world. It is 85 meters long and 13,3 meters its beam. Its deployed canvas covers an area of 3,358 square meters. Its iron hull was modified so that it could sail Antarctic seas. In 1901, she was commended for the rescue of the Swedish expedition on board the Antartic, ice-trapped shipwrecked.
It also served as Floating Navy School. Visits to the deck and interiors are held Monday through Sundays from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm. Admission is 1 Peso. Children under 5, free.
3. Universidad Católica Argentina
The four docks are owned by the UCA (Argentine Catholic University). The first building is called Santo Tomas Moro and seats the University Presidence’s offices, the Economics Law School and the School of Political Sciences. The second building, baptized San Alberto Magno, seats the library and the Schools of Engineering, Music and Canonical Law. In 1956, the Argentine Bishopric decided on the foundation of the Argentine Catholic University.
4. Nuestra Señora De La Esperanza Church
This church belongs to the Argentine Navy Police Force. Designed by architects Poli, Casano and Zubillaga, it was inaugurated in 1996. It bears a round base, same as the one of the Immaculada Concepción church, in Belgrano. It is the only one depending on an armed force. It is opened all day long.
5. Molino Porteño
On the east margin of the dock, you can see the Buenos Aires Mill. Its construction dates from 1891. At this mill, up to 1956, “Blanca Flor” flour was elaborated. Architecture of this building stands out because of the materials used. It became a valuable piece of architecture to be recovered for new uses. This beautiful building, exponent of the port functional architecture, was officially declared National Patrimony.
6. Molinos Rio de la Plata Building
This building which construction dates Return to 1902, next to the deposits and silos conform the indispensable equipment this first port of Buenos Aires needed.
The silos with their telescopic pipes to bulk store allowed for the organization of load and discharge of products according to storage time. New constructions have modified the urban landscape of this area along the years, highlighting the historical image of this building as a witness to the past splendour of the port activity.
7. Fragata Sarmiento Ship-Museum
During many years, it functioned as the Ship School of the National Navy where the cadets are trained in the navy’s trade. It was built in England, in 1898, upon request of the Argentine government. She performed 39 trips travelling across the seas of the world. Deck and interior may be visited from Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, Saturdays and Sundays from 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. Admission is 2 Pesos. Children under five, free.
8. Woman´s Bridge
The pedestrian bridge of Dock 3 is typed as “girder bridge.” Its pivoting system facilitates the shipping traffic at the dock. It is 5 meters wide and central gauge is respected by a rotation mechanism that allows the turn of the 70-meter central tract in 90°. Distance is also reduced by two approach bridges located on both sides of the dock.
9. Monument to Cristóbal Colon and Colon Park
Av. De la Rábida
At the Return of the Pink House we can see the semicircular park where homage to Genoese Columbus. The construction was promoted by Antonio Devoto, a wealthy Italian immigrant, on the centennial of the Argentine independence. Mr Devoto organized a competition in Italy and the winner was sculptor Arnaldo Zocchi. The monument was inaugurated on June, 1921. Christopher Columbus’ figure was made in Italy then it was disassembled into pieces and transported to Buenos Aires. Once in Buenos Aires, the artist mounted the figure in its current location.
The superb construction has been developed in three levels. The faces of the square base exhibit figures inspired by the verses of Sophocles’ "Medea", representing the Civilization, the Science, the Genius and the Ocean. On this base, a great pillar of square section which depicts memorable moments in Columbus’ life: the north face presents a bronze relief reproducing Christopher Columbus before the King and Queen of Spain when he presented his project; the south side shows the navigator on his return from the discovery trip.
On this pillar, the figure of Christopher Columbus rests. It is a colossal sculpture –38 tons and 6.25 meters high in Carrara Marble. He is standing and holds a semi-folded parchment in his hand.
The monument keeps the traces of bullets shot during the bombing to the Square of May (Plaza de Mayo) in June 1955, when Navy airplanes tried expel President Juan Peron from office. This attack balanced two hundred civilians dead.
10. Buenos Aires Hilton Hotel
The hotel architecture changes the landscape of Puero Madero. It is provided with top-class infrastructure to answer great demands. It holds a glazing foyer of 600 m2, and a total of 4000 m2 for events, distributed between an exhibition room of 2200 m2 and a series of conference rooms ranging from 35 to 720 m2. The hotel capacity is 421 rooms.
11. Monumental Antenna or Mast of the Italians
If you walk along Avenida de los Italianos, when it crosses Boulevard Güemes (Hilton’s address), you will see middle-centered column and on top of it, a replica of San Marcos' Winged León, typical Venetian figure. The Government of Italy donated this sculpture. Some meters ahead, the Monumental Antenna or Mast of the Italians (see Monuments, page…) remembering Venice. Built by the Italian architect Moretti, it is the place for the acts Italian residents carry out in the city.
12. Puerto Madero Railway Station
Perón and Av. Alicia Moreau de Justo
13. Puerto Madero Yacht Club
Projected by Camper (English company dedicated to port construction from 1782), it was inaugurated in August 1997. It was built in England with state-of-the art materials and then assembled in Argentina by foreign specialists. It holds a Floating Club House of 2000 m2, distributed in three plants. The mooring lines (at present, 250) are illuminated and among its services we find drinkable water, phone cable television, cleaning, maintenance and related repairs.
14. Tourist Information Center
15. Telecom Tower
16. "Hotel de los Inmigrantes" Museum
Av. Antártida Argentina 1355
Bus Lines: 4, 29, 33, 53, 54, 64, 86, 129, 130, 152, 154, 159, 168, 186
This a nostalgic boulevard located in front of the Ecological Reservoir. You can observe the centenary trees naturally spread along 20 blocks approximately, from the España avenue round on the south dock to the Argentine Yacht Club on the extreme of the north dock. At the center of the avenue round you can see the Nereidas fountain, a sculpture of the Argentine sculptor Lola Mora.
In 1918, the southern coast area was designed as a public bathing place. Today, it is an ideal place to take sun bathes, a bicycle or roller ride, to play soccer or just to stroll around. This park has wide paths and big green spaces together with a sightseeing balcony that let you get a complete view of the Ecological Reservoir.
From España avenue round on the south dock to the Argentine Yacht Club on the north dock.
Puente de la Mujer
Dock 3 in Puerto Madero (between the vehicular bridges facing Macacha Güemes, Perón, Azucena Villaflor and Belgrano avenues)
Bus lines: 2, 4, 6, 9, 10, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 33, 45, 50, 54, 55.
The new pedestrian and pivoting bridge was built in Dock 3, in Puerto Madero neighborhood (at the level of Avenida de Mayo). It is the first work that the architect and engineer Santiago Calatrava built in Latin America. This bridge is 160 m. long by 5 m. wide. The metallic arm, 39 m. high, can be seen from Leandro N. Alem avenue. The bridge is prepared to move up whenever a ship has to get through. The pivoting mechanism is one of the biggest in the world. It has 20 electric and computerized motors in the main axle.
This bridge was granted to the City of Buenos Aires by the businessman Alberto L. González. It has been an investment of 6 million dollars. Built in Spain, its different fragments were then shipped to Buenos Aires.
The plastic interpretation of the work is a couple dancing tango, where the white mast represents the man and the curved profile of the bridge is the woman.
Av. Tristán Achaval Rodríguez 1550
Bus Lines: 4, 29, 33, 53, 54, 64, 86, 129, 130, 152, 154, 159, 168, 186
This is a green space of 360 hectares with some unique features. The land was gained to the river by artificially refilling this area. As years went by, a wide variety of the typical River Plate flora and fauna started to grow up in this area. It has been officially declared as a “Natural Park and Reservoir Zone”.
It is a few blocks far from the financial and administrative city, on the southern cost of the River Plate.
You can take a walk or a bicycle ride down the paths that go to the river and stop to have a wonderful view from the sightseeing balconies.